Filed under A&E, Movie Review

Shazam zaps expectations.

Shazam zaps expectations.

Fighting, flying, and family are all in the newest DC comic book movie ShazamShazam is a fun lighthearted take on the super hero movie genre with great jokes and a great cast of characters. Directed by David Sandberg this movie will make you wish you could be a super hero.

The movie is about a 14-year-old boy named Billy Batson, played by Asher Angel. Billy is an orphan bouncing from home to home trying to find his mom, but he gets a real chance when the Vasquezs played by Cooper Andrews and Marta Milans, adopt him. These two run a home where orphans can stay and have real family. In this home, we meet Freddy Freeman played by Jack Dylan Grazer. Freddy is a super hero fanatic, collecting all Superman, Batman, and Aquaman memorabilia. The next day at school, Freddy, Billy, and the other kids are confronted by bullies. As they pick on Freddy, Billy does not like this and stands up for his new friend, beating up the bullies. After this, Billy runs on the subway and instead of going to his stop, he goes to meet the mighty wizard Shazam. The wizard is old and needs a pure soul to take his power. He chooses Billy. He thinks this is some joke or prank because he dosen’t have a pure soul,but still the wizards says , say my name for all his powers to run through him, so Billy says Shazam. As he does this, Billy becomes the super hero, but kid at heart, Shazam, played by Zachary Levi. Scared Billy finds the only person he knows who loves super heroes: Freddy. With Freddie’s help they learn Billy changes back to a 14-year-old when he says Shazam again. He also has bullet immunity, super speed, lighting powers, super strength, and he can fly! Antics ensue as Shazam does everything a kid would do if they had super powers. Then the evil doctor Silvia played who is  by Mark Strong. Silvia is bent on beating Shazam since  he was rejected by the wizard as a kid. 

All the actors in this movie are great. I feel Zachary Levi had the best performance. You could really feel like he was a kid stuck inside a superhero’s body. Also, the comedy really works; the movie takes itself is not as serious as other movies in the DC universe. One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when Shazam and Freddy are trying to buy food from a gas station when it gets robbed. This is when Shazam finds out some of his powers by beating the robbers up. He can’t believe he is a super hero. The only problem I have is the villain. Dr. Silvia is just kind of boring and really doesn’t work for a lighthearted movie like this one. The message is clearly about family with Billy finding his new family in the Vaquezs.

This movie is rated PG-13 which means there is some violence, but it is not over the top at all. There are some scenes, but it’s not like it’s the whole movie. I like this movie a lot. The positives very much outweigh the negatives. With that the, villain is a little flat. Still this is a very  re watchable super hero comedy and I give it 4 lightning bolts out of 5.