Filed under A&E, Movie Review

Avengers Endgame Movie Review

Avengers Endgame Movie Review

The official poster for Avengers: Endgame. “I keep telling everybody they should move on and grow. Some do. But not us.” - Steve Rogers

It’s taken 11 years and 22 films, but the end of Marvel’s Avengers series is in sight. The end to the famous series has been highly anticipated by fans everywhere.  People might feel worried about the 181-minute run time; a three-hour movie is the ultimate act of fan service, but those three hours zip by. As for the common objection – that the viewer will be lost if they’re not up on a good chunk of the previous movies – the only answer to that now is too bad. Perhaps more than any other MCU film, it will be pretty hard to walk cold into Avengers Endgame and fully grasp what’s happening – not just in its relation to Infinity War, the most recent before Endgame, but with regards to the many callbacks to moments in the other 21 movies and comics (keep an eye out in Hank Pym’s office). 

As it must, Endgame picks up where Infinity War left everybody hanging, with half of the Avengers and half of mankind wiped out by Thanos. He triumphed in Infinity War a year ago, and the opening of Endgame deals with loss. The remaining Avengers have lost their friends, their family and are dealing with grief. Endgame’s filmmakers pack their story with payoffs reminding fans how well they know these characters’ insecurities and drawing those ideas out. Steve Rogers’ ache for everything he lost when he was jolted out of his own time… they all get some screen time, ramped up to new heights by the latest crisis. The rest is left for viewers to discover. 

The film picks up the pace significantly as it goes along. The directions it goes in defies a good number of theories fans have spent the past year formulating. Even for the predictions that were correct, I enjoyed seeing the twists. The Russo Brothers have made it clear they know how to juggle a film with high stakes. The focus of the movie is where it should be, on the main six Avengers. These heroes are the most human they’ve ever been. Even for characters you might not have been a big fan of in the earlier films, I expect you’ll find yourself loving seeing them and experiencing how much they’ve grown. After twenty-two years of growth and development, when you see many of these characters, you’ll feel like you’re seeing an old friend again. If Infinity War represented the body and brawn of the MCU, then Endgame definitely shows the heart and soul of the franchise. 

The only problem is, Endgame’s tone is mostly deeply somber — even when the protagonists formulate a plan and start taking steps, they’re grim and angry. The most purely comic-relief characters barely get out a few lines along the way. On top of that, the narrative ends up splitting to put a wide selection of characters in different places, chasing goals that are confusing to follow. 

The camaraderie that’s been so present throughout is terrific, making you remember how and why you fell in love with these movies in the first place. Those three hours fly by, almost too quickly. It’s the literal end of an era and the beginning of a new one. It’s like coming back home after a long time away – everything is different, everything has changed, but there’s still a sense of comfort, satisfaction, and joy. 

In my opinion, this is a movie that most everyone can enjoy. I wouldn’t recommend it to younger kids as they may get antsy, tired, or find the action scenes violent, not to mention the use of foul language. The MPAA rating of this movie is PG-13. Endgame will get more than a few moviegoers misty-eyed, and they might find themselves admitting a few hard truths: that actors get older, that characters run their course and that every franchise must either move forward or stay stagnant. So, avoid spoilers at all costs, go into Endgame blind, and enjoy the thrilling ride. Or as Tony Stark put it: “Everything’s going to work out exactly the way it’s supposed to.”