Whitney Bouk takes on nationals

Whitney Bouk takes on nationals

Wednesday, May 7, 2019, students from Ms. Freeman’s advanced history classes returned to GBMS after attending a 3-day competition in Tallahassee. Those days were full of stress, interviews, anxiousness, and were mostly a blur. Amelia Atchison, Whitney Bouk, Graham Clark, Journey Davis, Amelia Hoitt, Lauren Hitchcock, Rico Stamey, Meghan Thacker, and Addy Ware all attended the Florida State History Fair Competition. This event was similar to the county competition except it contained over 1,000 students from all over Florida, making it much harder to win. In order for students to move on to nationals, they needed to place first or second in their category. Gulf Breeze did not disappoint. With Whitney Bouk placing second place in Junior Individual Websites, she will move onto nationals this summer.

Whitney Bouk, 8th grade, Ms. Freeman, and high school student at FHD (Florida History Day). Whitney says at Nationals, “I’m probably going to try to trade pins with other competitors and go on a walking tour of the monuments there.”

Whitney created her website around the triumphs and tragedies of the World War ll Women Airforce Service Pilots. Whitney decided to do her project on this because, “ever since I was really little I’ve always wanted to get a private pilot license.” She also stated that she wanted her topic to be on something that really affected history, but not very well known at the same time. During the competition, she said that she, “was out of it,” but really enjoyed the interview because she got to talk about her project.

Whitney will be the only student from GBMS moving on to nationals in Washington D.C. this summer. Nationals are the highest level you can participate in for History Fair. In between state and nationals, Whitney said, “to prepare for nationals I’m just cleaning up my project and adding a few extra things for style and cleanliness.” She also stated that she is just going to do her best and is not expecting to win anything. However, she was not expecting to win anything at state, and didn’t even register that she was moving on until she was already on the stage. Students that go to nationals have exceptional projects and are from all over the United States. Winning is extremely hard and a huge accomplishment. Several of Ms. Freeman’s students have won nationals and even more have competed. Whitney said, “I’m most excited for the experience. I’ve heard so much about what’s it like at nationals and how fun it is to be around students from across the country.”

GBMS is very proud of the students who made it to State and wishes Whitney good luck at Nationals this summer!