Mr. Gutshall’s bottle project

This+is+an+example+of+the+ecosystem+that+the+organisms+in+the+project+live+in+

Mr. Gutshall’s bottle project

This is an example of the ecosystem that the organisms in the project live in

Lots of students attempt to raise fish or grow plants, but in Mr. Adam Gutshall’s class, they’re doing both. He’s even added snails into the mix! Mr. Gutshall has organized a project for his students where they can try to see if these living organisms can survive in his new ecosystem. The ecosystem is made of a soda bottle sliced in half with the top turned upside down and put into the bottom. The fish and snails are living in the bottom portion of the bottle and the plant is growing on the top part.

The way the new habitat is made is with rocks at the bottom and one aquactic plant. The top of the cap from the top of the bottle has holes so soil can seep through. The fish are also fed once a day. The plant is at the top which is filled with soil and the students put three seeds (of their choice) to see if they would grow. The snails are living with the fish, they mostly stick to the bottle, but they do live in the water with the fish, they are the ones to clean up any bacteria.

Since this is an ecosystem each organism has a niche which is the role organism plays in its own enviorment. The snails clean up the soil and bacteria, the fish eat the plant’s roots and soil, and the plant is food to the fish and snails. This is a project, so this experiment is for a grade. Mr. Gutshall has given all the students a worksheet to observe and record the data the student’s see.

May 17th, was the last day of the project and the students were supposed to record if their ecosystem survived. Ciara Caridi says, “my ecosystem did survive, mainly because my group and I regularly changed the water and fed the fish.”

Overall students learned from this project and had fun as well. Most of the ecosystems did survive in addition to that, this means this project was a success.